Monday, July 6, 2020

Alaska



Wow. If you ever get the chance to go to Alaska - DO IT.  This place was unbelievably wonderful!  My mother died in 2017 and I made a promise to myself to travel and see the world no matter the cost. My first stop was Alaska.  It was a dream come true. 

My sister and I learned that we got to go BEFORE tourist season, which according to the locals, is the best time to go. We also got a clear shot of Mt. Denali from our hotel, which is rare.  
We were there April 30 through May 4, 2017

Here was our itinerary.

Sunday: Western Kenai Peninsula + Homer
Brunch: Jack Sprat, 165 Olympic Mountain Loop, Girdwood, AK 99587 (907-783-5225) 
My short review: This place was delicious! They are a server costume themed restaurant sitting along side a ski resort. Definitely worth a stop!

Drive! Explore Kenai Peninsula on our way to Homer, AK
My short review: My ashes will be spread in or near Kenai Lake.  I'm dead (hah) serious about this.  Kenai Lake is where I left my heart. It was SO BEAUTIFUL. 


Early Dinner: Fresh Catch Café, 4025 Homer Spit Rd, Homer, AK 99603 (907-235-2289)
My short review: I learned that I have a weird love for dill weed.  The food was fresh.  The atmosphere was kind of weird as well as the layout, but our window view enjoying the food took all that thought out of my mind. Also, walk around the pier. There is a cute little wooden swing to relax under all the restaurants. 



Monday: Denali National Park & Aurora Borealis

Flight-seeing! K2 AVIATION, 14052 East 2nd Street, Talkeetna, AK  99676 (800-764-2291)
My short review: This was worth every penny. It was expensive, but worth it.  We flew to the top of Denali and landed on a freaking glacier.  I did get a little nauseous from the fumes of the small plane. 



Lunch:  Talkeetna Roadhouse, Main St, Talkeetna, AK  99676 (907-733-1351)
My short review: This place is adorable. The town is adorable, the staff is adorable. I loved it.  I also found out that one of my favorite TV personalities ate there too! Adam Richmond from Man Vs Food. What an honor to sit where he sat 😁


Drive! Drive Alaska Highway 3, north thru Denali State Park (entrance 140 mi away...)

Dinner: Denali Brewing Company (til 9pm), 13605 E Main Street, Talkeetna, AK  99676
My short review: Not gonna lie, I don't remember eating here. If we did it was nothing special. Sorry!!!  I think we honestly chose another restaurant 

Best Chance! Northern Lights, Monday Night in Talkeetna, AK
- We skipped this and drove back to the hotel instead. Bummer. We didn't want to wait. 

Downtown Anchorage + Afternoon Drive

Tuesday:
Breakfast:
Snow City Café, 1034 W 4th Ave, Anchorage, AK
My short review: Not gonna lie, I don't remember eating here. If we did it was nothing special. Sorry!!!  I think we honestly chose another restaurant 

Museum! Anchorage Museum, 625 C Street, Anchorage, AK 99501
My short review: This was a wonderful museum. WAY bigger than I expected. 


Wednesday: Seward & Whale Watching
Whale Watching! The Alaska Collection, 1304 W Fourth Avenue, Seward, AK 99664 (877-777-4051)
My short review: Wow, this was an amazing experience.  Unfortunately the whales weren't too extremely active, but we still got to see them.  Everyone on deck was helpful, especially when I learned I get sea sick really easily. We got to see all kinds of wild life on this adventure. From Bald Eagles to Otters. SO much fun! 





Explore! Downtown Seward, Seward Harbor
We found a restaurant called The Cookery that was one of the BEST eating experiences. 

Dinner: Salmon Bake (til 10pm), 31832 Herman Leirer Rd, Seward, AK 99664 (907-224-2204)
My short review: Not gonna lie, I don't remember eating here. If we did it was nothing special. Sorry!!!  I think we honestly chose another restaurant 

Thursday:  Alaska Wildlife & Chugach + Painting!
Brunch: Biscuit Bettie's, 333 W 4th Ave, Ste 117, Anchorage, AK 99501 (907-277-7332)
My short review: this was a cute little place for breakfast. Nothing that stood out too  much to me, but the food was a-ok! 

Wildlife Tour! Salmon Berry Tours, 515 W 4th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501 (907-278-3572)
My short review: Yes to this. All of this. I loved everything from the comfortable bus with a very informative driver to the wildlife.  The ride alone was worth it because you could sit back and see some amazing scenery without having to worry about watching the road. This was fun!




Painting! MUSE Restaurant, Anchorage Museum, 625 C Street, Anchorage, AK 99501
My short review: This was a perfect way to end our trip. Nice and relaxing letting our or iner painter.  











No comments:

Post a Comment